HISTORY OF PUHOI
Puhoi (pronounced POOHOY) is a Maori word meaning “Slow Water”.
Puhoi’s population a century ago peaked at a little over 500, which is more than at present.
Originally the Puhoi Bohemians were almost totally isolated as the tidal reach of the Puhoi River was the only access. Today State Highway 1 is but a few kms away and although the village is only 50 kms north of Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city, it has retained much of it’s heritage character.
The 1800s saw the start of the European settlement of New Zealand. The only other comparable ethnic historic village in the country is the French settlement of Akaroa, on Banks Peninsular near Christchurch in the South Island.
Here now is the Puhoi Story.
Names of Bohemian Immigrants and those associated by marriage
The Ships and Puhoi bound passenger lists
Puhoi Debt of Honour
First World War 1914-18; Second World War 1939-1945